Sunday, October 22, 2006

Frank, that's not a cat bed...

Felines make everything more interesting. I was showing my pre-felted pumpkin to my husband and before we knew what was happening, there was a cat in it. And yes, the collapsed felted piece with the icky border behind the pumpkin IS a cat bed.

But back to something much more successful: that wonderful PUMPKIN! The pattern is 12:01 from the October 2006 MagKnits (http://www.magknits.com/Oct06/patterns/1201.htm). The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill Potluck Worsted. I had three hanks of that gorgeous orange and one of an "almost solid" green. As soon as I saw this pattern, I knew this is what those hanks wanted to be when they grew up. Wanting to enjoy it in the fall season, I couldn't resist dropping everything and making it right away. The only change I made to the pattern was in making my handle just a tiny bit longer. It is twisted and attached pre-felting, and it is still two separate "vines" post-felting. Make sure the twist is evenly distributed before attaching and it should felt fine. The CTH worsted felted BEAUTIFULLY! The triple stranding made a very thick basket. "And when the clock struck midnight, it turned into..."
The colors did not fade the way it looks in the two photos. For the record, Frank has not tried to wedge himself into it since it was felted.