Wednesday, August 23, 2006

First Finished Footwear


Here are my first socks, somewhat blocked and drying. I can definitely see the purpose of having sock blockers after just trying to smooth these out by hand. Of course, they are just going to have feet in them, then be put inside Birks or shoes, so it probably isn't that big of a deal.

The pattern is Classic Socks by Melinda Goodfellow (Yankee Knitter Designs). The yarn is Sockotta, color #502. The needles are Inox DPNs, size 2. I did the K1P1 top rib, then changed to a K3P1 rib. I misread the pattern on my first one at the beginning of the heel flap, which resulted in the first 1/4 inch being too tight and it causes a little puckering on the top of the foot. This is where I used just enough extra yarn to make the toe blue and not match it's mate. I also kitchenered earlier than the pattern said to, with 14 stitches on each needle rather than 8. I had made the first just a touch too long, so I had to frog part of it, then I just made the second one match it. I am going to Magic Loop my next pair and start both at the same time. I had partial sock syndrome then one sock syndrome with this pair. I think I originally started back in December, but started working on them in earnest in June.